I'd like to create an opensource web application framework built on the
pieces we have and some outside libraries. Essentially I'm looking at
something like Expresso but built with better components and free :-)

I'm thinking it could consist of:

Xwork
WebWork2
OSUser
Hibernate
SiteMesh
OSCache
(Xwork IoC|Bebop|Picocontainer|Spring)
Atlassian's security stuff

All of these would be put together and configured for out-of-the-box
development with the templates, decorators, config files, etc. all set
up. It would have a build file in place and ready to go, so all you have
to do is start dropping your classes and HTML/JSP/VM files in and go.

If you're interested, I'd love to get feedback and I'm soliciting offers
of people's time and code to help set this up. Especially the JLCP guys,
who I know have set up some infrastructure for WW2 and Hibernate, so
that would be very helpful.

I think this would go a long way to addressing people's concerns about
ease of use (how much easier can it get without a GUI to hold your hand
and eventually strangle you :-)?)

Thanks,

Jason

--