Well, I was hoping to find a release announcement of a beta release in
my inbox when I got home today, but I guess Patrick didn't get done
before he had to go tonight.... I'll have to look at the process
tomorrow, since he's on vacation till Monday...

XW and WW2 are coming along nicely, and I think it's important to start
highlighting them and make it easy for people to start using them in
applications quickly. But feel free to jump in on XW / WW2 :-)

> Also the goals of the framework (?) sound too broad. It looks
> like a collection of Open Source tools to me, albeit a good
> one - indeed these are the basis of Atlassian apps. But I'm
> not sure what you would do, besides build an app showing how
> these can be used together? Or did I get the wrong end of the stick?

The thought is to create basically an awesome skeleton project with the
configuration for the different packages already sketched out in a
barebones way ready to be filled in with app specific stuff. It will
include some code for things like a Hibernate PersistenceManager
component and Lucene Indexer component, etc. ready to be included in an
app. It will include a build file and project structure to get a project
started out of the gate quickly without having to worry about setting up
infrastructure crap that takes up time when you're starting out. It will
also act as a an example to work from for best practices.

> More thought needed I think.

> On 14/8/03 1:56 AM, "Joseph Ottinger"
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) penned the
> words:
>
> > Jason, Snowwolf Wagner and I suggested something very much
> like this
> > two years ago. Its time may have come, but it's certainly not a new
> > idea.
> >
> > On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Jason Carreira wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to create an opensource web application framework
> built on
> >> the pieces we have and some outside libraries. Essentially I'm
> >> looking at something like Expresso but built with better
> components
> >> and free :-)
> >>
> >> I'm thinking it could consist of:
> >>
> >> Xwork
> >> WebWork2
> >> OSUser
> >> Hibernate
> >> SiteMesh
> >> OSCache
> >> (Xwork IoC|Bebop|Picocontainer|Spring)
> >> Atlassian's security stuff
> >>
> >> All of these would be put together and configured for
> out-of-the-box
> >> development with the templates, decorators, config files, etc. all
> >> set up. It would have a build file in place and ready to
> go, so all
> >> you have to do is start dropping your classes and
> HTML/JSP/VM files
> >> in and go.
> >>
> >> If you're interested, I'd love to get feedback and I'm soliciting
> >> offers of people's time and code to help set this up.
> Especially the
> >> JLCP guys, who I know have set up some infrastructure for WW2 and
> >> Hibernate, so that would be very helpful.
> >>
> >> I think this would go a long way to addressing people's concerns
> >> about ease of use (how much easier can it get without a
> GUI to hold
> >> your hand and eventually strangle you :-)?)
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Jason
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jason Carreira
> >> Technical Architect, Notiva Corp.
> >> phone:    585.240.2793
> >>   fax:    585.272.8118
> >> email:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >> ---
> >> Notiva - optimizing trade relationships (tm)

> >> including Data Reports, E-commerce, Portals, and Forums
> are available
> >> now. Download today and enter to win an XBOX or Visual
> Studio .NET.
> >>
> http://aspnet.click->
url.com/go/psa00100003ave/direct;at.aspnet_072303