Your view will be based on the return value of the "execute()" method of
your Action. If you're extending ActionSupport, this is delegated to
"doExecute()" and wrapped with some logic (to call validate() which
calls doValidate() on your subclass, if you override it). If you return
Action.INPUT from doExecute(), you'll get the view mapped to input.
Also, if you're using ActionSupport in WW1.x, if there are any error
messages added to the Action, it will return input without calling
doExecute().

Most people who want to just display the form the first time either use
2 Actions or make their Action CommandDriven and use doDefault().

See the docs for more info on CommandDriven, etc...