Action chaining is NOT for a 'wizard' type user interface. An action chain is per request, it is not something that helps the user move along a set of pages. So unless I'm misunderstanding your problem, the behaviour you describe is correct. The chain 'ends' when you send a response to the user ,and any subsequent requests have no knowledge of what chains it has been through. So to do what you want, you would have to add in the parameters to your pages to inform the actions of what they should do.