On Friday 06 July 2007 16:54, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 09:07:07AM +0200, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > >
> > > We can co-maintain it, after all, I already provide the Nessus packages
> > > and would gladly provide OpenVAS packages too (or instead of).
> >
> > IMHO OpenVAS will indeed replace Nessus simply because it is
> > not legal to dsitribute Nessus packages compiled with OpenSSL.
>
> How so? There is a OpenSSL exception to the Nessus GPL license for that.

I thought so too for a long time, but when preparing OpenVAS for release
I was made aware of my mistake. The OpenSSL Exception intentionally
is only given for the client, not(!) for the server. You will find the file
COPYING.OpenSSL only in the "nessus/" directory of nessus-core.

Best

        Jan

--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner                                   Intevation GmbH