On Tuesday 01 April 2008 21:28, Rodney Thayer wrote:
> Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > I'd like to hear some opinions about this question.
> >
> > What strategy should OpenVAS follow?
>
> when I've found myself complaining about some open source project's
> use (or mis-use, or unfortunately non-portable use) of things like glib,
> I think these are the issues one might consider:
>
> -- what distro's should it run on easily?
> -- should it run easily on live cd's?
> -- how much work do we want it to end up being to do
>    "apt-cache search openvas"
>
> In other words, I would like to see it be at least a tolerable process
> to run on:
>
>   - fedora 8
>   - ubuntu 7

agreed.

>   - debian 4

thats my reference system.

>   - backtrack/wolvix/etc. live cd's

I do not know these in detail.
Any real problems expected?

>   - slackware 8

I have no epxerience with slackware. Well, I think I installed it in 1993 or
so ;-)

> Note: I don't claim my list is anything but a sample data point ;-)

I would adde SUSE and Redhat to the list.
I know there are some Gentoo guys around.

> > Are there already noteworthy articles about this question (as it
> > is absolutely not OpenVAS-specific)?
>
> I agree it is not OpenVAS specific.  However, "what effort does the
> team want to put into making it easy to deploy OpenVAS" is a question
> the group might want to consider.

AFAIK, glib is quite well supported on various platforms and in fact
intends to balance out incompatibilities between different libc
implementations, ie. regarding str methods or memory management.

Best

        Jan
--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner                                   Intevation GmbH