On Donnerstag, 26. Juni 2008, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> how about arranging a Contest 'Best advances for OpenVAS Network
> Vulnerability Tests'
> in order to make OpenVAS more known, get people to look on how to implement
> further NVTs or in other ways implement ideas to improve OpenVAS?
>
> What I am having in mind is something like this (just quickly drafted and
> entirely open for suggestions how to change or extend or entirely
> rewrite it):

I'd like to not delay this contest any further as we received quite positive
feedback.
Surley it would be good to have support by SPI for managing it, but Intevation
could take
over responsibilities until things are clearified.
Getting the contest to start is more important than to get the details
straightened, IMHO.

Please feel free to fix or improve the actual announcement of the contest
(we have already two additional sponsorts :-) :

 """
Contest: Best advances for OpenVAS Network Vulnerability Tests

The OpenVAS Team (Open Vulnerability Assessment System, [1])
calls for submission of patches, scripts, converters
or anything else that significantly improves the OpenVAS framework
for extended Open Source Network Vulnerability Testing.

Basically your are free to choose the actual area of improvements,
examples are:

 * New .nasl scripts for recent security alerts
 * NASL libraries for simplifying development of new test scripts
 * Converter routines that (semi-)automatically create NASL
    scripts from formal security alerts.
 * Performance improvements for the current tests.

There are arbitrary other ways to extend/improve the OpenVAS
test routines.
The only hard requirement is that your solution is published
as Free Software under GNU GPLv2+.

Current winner prices are (the amount might increase because
additional sponsors are welcome to add to the price as along as
the contest is open):

 1: 500 Euro
 2: 300 Euro
 3: 200 Euro

The sponsors and OpenVAS steering team will jointly choose the winners
inspired by these criteria:

 * number of CVEs/BIDs covered
 * relevance of the covered alerts
 * sustainable future benefit (e.g. in the case of supporting APIs)
 * how well the development was coordinated via the public OpenVAS
    mailing lists (teams may win as well)
 * code quality (documentation, design, style)

Contest sponsors are (sorted by sponsored amount):

 * Intevation GmbH, www.intevation.net
 * DN-Systems GmbH, www.dn-systems.de
 * Tim Brown

Time table:

2008-08-15: Contest started
2008-10-15: Contest closes
2007-10-30: Winners nominated

How to participate:

 * express you wish to participate on the OpenVAS mailing list
    and what you plan to work on
 * summarize you contribution before contests closes and submit
    it on the OpenVAS mailing list

[1] www.openvas.org
"""