Ok, so things aren't quite as nice as I was hoping they'd be.  While the
server portion should work fine as a quick and dirty way to get openvas
running, the client portion still can't compile right.  Here's where I've
been stuck for a few days:

osva:~/openvas-client-1.0.4# make
cd libnessus && make
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/openvas-client-1.0.4/libnessus'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/openvas-client-1.0.4/libnessus'
cd nessus && make
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/openvas-client-1.0.4/nessus'
gcc -g -O2  -Wall `sh ./cflags`  -c auth.c
In file included from comm.h:39,
                 from auth.c:35:
context.h:29:18: error: glib.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [auth.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/openvas-client-1.0.4/nessus'
make: *** [client] Error 2

I also ran this command to make sure my glib exists:

osva:~/openvas-client-1.0.4# pkg-config --cflags glib-2.0
-I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include

Seems awfully reproducible in Debian Etch, but something is certainly not
right.  Any ideas?

Once I get this working, I'll make a new .torrent, or just post the download
on my web server.