Hi everybody,

Just subscribed to this list because I have a question that I figure you
guys have come across before. Hopefully you can save me some time (and a
lawsuit or two :) ).

I'm currently adding vulnerability checks to Nmap using the scripting
engine. So far, I've been basing them on scripts that people put online
without licensing (I don't base them on the code, just on the network
traffic).

I'd like to add support for other Windows vulnerabilities, though. For
example, having a check for ms06-040 would be really nice. However, I
can't find any free checkers (and even GPL, without special
accommodations, is incompatible with Nmap's license). Even with
ms08-067, I'm using a check that's used by Metasploit, but it crashes
over 50% of systems, which is definitely not good. Foundstone and Nessus
have better ones, but their licensing makes it prohibitive.

Which leads me to my question -- I have no interest in looking at the
source for checks done by, say, Foundstone or Nessus. However, looking
at their network traffic and reproducing their checks can be extremely
helpful. But I don't know how licensing works, in this case -- does the
licensing on their code apply to network traffic with Windows, or does
the licensing end at the sourcecode level?

I'd like to add the same checks as them at the traffic level, but I
don't want to violate licenses.

Can somebody here tell me where the line between violations/fair use is
drawn in this case? With the nature of OpenVAS, you must have run across
this before.

Thank you kindly!
Ron

--