There are multiple parts to "updating the NVT's".

Running openvas-[nvt|scap]-sync does update the NVTs. However, you also
need to make openvas aware of the new NVTs, so you must run openvasmd
--update.

--rebuild will rebuild the entire sqlite database. --update simply updates
the database to reflect what is on the filesystem.

http://volatile-minds.blogspot.com -- blog
http://www.volatileminds.net -- website