Hi Daniel,

On 2014-10-03 16:30, Daniel Martin wrote:
Hi team,

I'm the maintainer of the Dradis project and I was wondering where is
the best way to find information about the different versions of the
XML generated by OpenVAS.

For example, our current parser was looking for "Summary:" and
"Solution:" fields inside the <description> tag of the <result>, but
it seems that in OpenVAS v7, these are now included in under the
<tags> item as "|summary=" and "|solution=".

So I have two questions:

- What is the best way to detect the version of the XML that we're
parsing? Maybe the user doesn't know the exact OpenVAS version so they
can't tell us which one it is. It would be good if we determine which
version of the XML format by looking at some field (is this the
[format_id="a994b278-1f62-11e1-96ac-406186ea4fc5"] attribute?).

<get_version/> command.

Note that you can chain commands like this:

<commands><get_version/><get_reports report_id='fooo'/></commands>

And adjust your parsing of the report according to the version returned in <get_version_response>.

- Are the different formats of XML documented somewhere? We'd like to
support parsing of XML generated by different versions of OpenVAS, but
we need to understand the subtleties between the versions.

The generated doc/omp.html file [1] documents *every* aspect of the OMP protocol, and is probably what you are looking for. If anything is missing/wrong/inconsistent, please let us know.

[1] https://scm.wald.intevation.org/svn/openvas/trunk/openvas-manager/doc/omp.html