Thank you Rene Behring.
I followed your advise to upgrade to version 9. I removed openvas8 first and
then installed the version openvas9
Then, I did the following:

sudo openvas-nvt-sync
sudo openvas-scapdata-sync
sudo openvas-certdata-sync
sudo service openvas-manager stop
sudo service openvas-scanner stop
sudo openvassd
sudo openvasmd --migrate
        (output => md   main:  DEBUG:19215:2016-02-11 13h21.01 CET:
sql_open: db open, max retry sleep time is 0)
sudo openvasmd --progress --rebuild
        (output => Rebuilding NVT cache... failed.)

The rebuilding of the NVT cache failed..
I checked the installation with the openvas-check-setup --v9

Step 2: Checking OpenVAS Manager ...
        OK: OpenVAS Manager is present in version 6.1+beta2.
        OK: OpenVAS Manager client certificate is present as
/var/lib/openvas/CA/clientcert.pem.
        OK: OpenVAS Manager database found in /var/lib/openvas/mgr/tasks.db.
        OK: Access rights for the OpenVAS Manager database are correct.
        OK: sqlite3 found, extended checks of the OpenVAS Manager installation
enabled.
Error: unable to open database "/var/lib/openvas/mgr/tasks.db": unable to open
database file
        ERROR: Could not determine database revision, database corrupt or in
invalid format.
        FIX: Delete database at /var/lib/openvas/mgr/tasks.db and rebuild it.

So I deleted the file requested and retried the following :

sudo openvassd
sudo openvasmd --migrate
        (output => md   main:  DEBUG:19215:2016-02-11 13h21.01 CET:
sql_open: db open, max retry sleep time is 0)
sudo openvasmd --progress --rebuild
        (output => Rebuilding NVT cache... failed.)
It is worse now with version 9..