Hello,

Still tinkering with my ongoing slow scan issues. Basically
I'm on a Kali 2 box with OpenVAS 8, NMAP 7.31. When I'm port scanning
firewalls the scans take forever, 2 hours or more.

I've had some
recommendations to change firewall rules to REJECT instead of DROP. I've
done this and it has helped the speed of NMAP scans, but no difference
for OpenVAS (Full and Fast) scans. The only thing that speeds up the
OpenVAS scans is if I alter the firewall to ACCEPT packets from the
scanner. But that is not ideal, and I do not always have control over
the upstream firewalls.

So along with NMAP performing full scans within
15 minutes, a Nessus installation on the same Kali box also completes a
full scan within 15-20 minutes. It just seems to be OpenVAS taking an
exceptionally long time.

Any other ideas would be appreciated...

One
other thing worthy of mention: These boxes VM's are in a VMWare
Workstation test environment using NAT. So there should be no network
latency.

Thanks ,

Ted.