On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Aaron Sethman wrote:

> I'm not necessarly sure it belongs in OpenVPN, but then again, I can see
> the advantages to automatically failover to other links.  Perhaps
> abstracting things out in the code a bit that it would be possible to have
> multiple methods of sending data out to the world, perhaps even non-ip
> methods.  Or even implementing something as tunnelling over TCP(I do know
> the reasons why you don't want to do this, but in some cases you don't
> have a choice, and are willing to eat the performance loss).

TCP-over-TCP tunnelling isn't necessarily a performance loss, but it
also exhibits excessive retransmit behaviour -- which isn't too bad if
you have congested links and need to take a bigger share than the others
;-) I've always found vpnd (tcp-over-tcp) to be more stable than vtund
(over udp in my configurations) across congested links, but I haven't
compared vpnd to openvpn. (And I've found vtund to be fragile, a single
ping -f into a tunnel usually let the tunnel collapse on Linux. OpenVPN
is solid in these circumstances.)

--
Matthias Andree