> I would furthermore suggest to discuss the required interface between
> the GUI and the OpenVPN daemon on this list. Starting and stopping would
> be possibly by just running the main binary, but I think a more
> sophisticated status and diagnosis interface requires some other
> mechanism (e.g. a local socket). Such an interface could furthermore
> prevent that the actual user who switches some configuration or just
> checks the status must own superuser privileges to start/stop a OpenVPN
> service and - even worse - read the secret key files.

Yes, I would like to see some kind of interface for control of OpenVPN from
external programs.

The mechanism of the interface would be a socket on *nix or a named pipe on
Windows.

The interface would primarily be for interaction with a GUI agent and would
allow for:

* Stop/Restart control
* Get status (like SIGUSR2)
* Provide authentication info