I was thinking about this the other day, and was wondering if you couldn't just
prompt the person for a password, telling them to "Hit Enter" if they don't have
one.  Then if one is provided (string != null or length(string)>0) just shove it
down STDIN's throat?

If it works, it *is* a hack, but it might be enough to get it implemented? ;-)

This feature is exactly what is precluding me and my userbase from using the
awesome systray app you provided.

--
-bk