On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 06:15:06PM +0200, Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 01:36:33PM -0000, James Yonan wrote:
> > Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta <a...@inittab.org> said:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > After I decided to push OpenVPN 2.0 into Debian for future inclusion in
> > > Sarge, I got this [1] bug report from one Debian user. It seems that 2.0
> > > doesn't get along well with udev, as opposed to 1.6. I don't use udev,
> > > so I can't really tell, but has anything changed from 1.6 to 2.0 in the
> > > way the device is handled?
> > >
> > > The suspicious message is:
> > >
> > > Oct 16 16:31:12 gimli wait_for_sysfs[5873]: error: wait_for_sysfs needs an
> > update to handle the device '/class/net/tun0' properly, please report to
> > <linux-hotplug-de...@lists.sourceforge.net>
> > >
> > > The bug submitter claims that OpenVPN 1.6 deals correctly with it. Maybe
> > > it has something to do with device probing?
> >
> > The TUN/TAP handling code in 2.0 is nearly identical to the 1.6 code.  The
> > only change I can think of is the setting of txqueuelen on the TUN/TAP
> > driver.
>
> Ok
>
> > Incidentally, the error shown in the bug report looks like he is trying to
> > make a tunnel between 1.6 and 2.0 using incompatible key-method parameters.
> > He needs to set --key-method 2 on the 1.6 side.
>

> Has this changed between 1.6 and 2 beta11?
> The man page says --key-method defaults to 1 and the ChangeLog does not say
> otherwise.
> I don't think this guy changed that to 2 just after he upgraded the
> package. I'll ask him anyway, yo never know...
> Could a problem with the TUN/TAP driver confuse the --key-method handling
> code?
>
> > > [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=276799

James, as you may see in here [1] now, it seems that setting
--key-method to 1 in the OpenVPN 2 side, solved the problem. Maybe that
changed but it's not documented? Or there's something weird going on?

Thanks,

Alberto

--
Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta    | BOFH excuse #268:
agi@(inittab.org|debian.org)| Neutrino overload on the nameserver

Key fingerprint = 9782 04E7 2B75 405C F5E9  0C81 C514 AF8E 4BA4 01C3