Peter Stuge <pe...@stuge.se> writes:

>> > Could you add a route and use nobind? Unless you have one openvpn
>> > on each IP that should work.
>>
>> I would really like to avoid the NAT hackery.
>
> I didn't mean to suggest any NAT.

NAT would be required on a multihomed host with a routable external and
an unroutable internal IP where the internal one is the primary address
of the outgoing interface.

>> > I would actually expect the firewall to notice that there is a new
>> > connection. Since it doesn't, maybe you can explicitly allow this
>> > traffic?
>>
>> I do not have access to this firewall.
>
> Can you reach someone who does? I guess the VPN working right is in
> their interest too, and..

The firewall is completely ok.  A TCP connection is identified by a
src<ip:port> + dst<ip:port> pair.  When the firewall has recorded an
active TCP connection and a TCP packet arrives with a corresponding pair
but unexpected flags (e.g. SYN) or sequence numbers, this packet is
detected as invalid and be dropped.

>> > I know I would prefer fixing the firewall rules.
>>
>> I would prefer to fix openvpn ;)
>
> ..I maintain that the problem is actually with the firewall that
> doesn't notice the new connection. (I guess because of too simplistic
> packet inspection?)

no; it is because the OpenVPN client creates the same src + dst pair
for every connection.  I suggest to read some papers about stateful
firewalls before continuing this discussion.

Enrico