Toby Thain wrote:
> > So we have stuff for VC6, VS2005, VS2008, DDK/WDK, MinGW and Cygwin. :)
>
> I consider diversity of working build environments a net benefit to
> the project. It's another useful axis of portability and helps rub
> off non-portable burrs.

I see your point and I agree in part, but personally I would e.g.
prefer to ignore VC6, since it requires a fair amount source code
workarounds because it's *so* old.

Also, someone needs to maintain these build methods, and I wish
people didn't have to spend time on that part so much.

> > autotools is absolutely alien in Windows, and to be honest a bit
> > of a hassle to set up if you're already a VS wizard.
>
> NMAKE is convenient for Windows builds as it will also happily run
> under Linux/WINE, targeting both 32 and 64 bit Windows runtimes with
> the 'freely downloadable' Express toolchain. It may even be possible
> to combine autotools with the Microsoft compiler, though I haven't
> tried it (CC="wine cl", etc).

Maybe it works for cross-compiling, but then MinGW(-w64) will be way
better tested so why bother, when for people on Windows it's no real
help, they want the GUI stuff. Also, being a library, there are some
more build options like e.g. enable debugging or not. This is
typically a separate target in VS but only a configure switch with
autotools, and while this case is easy enough, I don't think those
targets scale so well..

Personally I'm missing a way to do some build-time scripting also on
Windows. The best idea I've come up with so far is a .cmd which does
some of what autoconf does, e.g. "sed" version number from
configure.ac into .rc files and create a config.h, but that doesn't
mean it's a very good idea. :\

//Peter