I'm in the process of trying to build 2.3_alpha2 into Tunnelblick. It's
slow going because of my unfamiliarity with make/automake, etc. I have
several questions:

(1) Is there a way to disable building "openvpnserv" and the "auth-pam"
plugin? (Other than modifying src/Makefile.am and src/plugins/Makefile.am,
of course.) I'm thinking of something along the lines of
"ENABLE_OPENVPNSERV=no" or "DISABLE-AUTH-PAM".

(2) Should I be concerned about the following warnings?

checking lzo/lzoutil.h presence... no
configure: WARNING: lzo/lzoutil.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by
the preprocessor!
configure: WARNING: lzo/lzoutil.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
checking for lzo/lzoutil.h... yes
checking lzo/lzo1x.h usability... yes
checking lzo/lzo1x.h presence... no
configure: WARNING: lzo/lzo1x.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by the
preprocessor!
configure: WARNING: lzo/lzo1x.h: proceeding with the compiler's result

(3) I want to build "compat" as a static library. How can I do that?

I've tried adding the following arguments after "./configure":

--enable-static --disable-shared

And I've tried prefixing ./configure with the following:

COMPAT_CFLAGS=-static  LIBCOMPAT_CFLAGS=-static
 LIBCOMPAT_LA_CFLAGS=-static compat_CFLAGS=-static
 libcompat_CFLAGS=-static  libcompat_la_CFLAGS=-static
COMPAT_LDFLAGS=-static  LIBCOMPAT_LDFLAGS=-static
 LIBCOMPAT_LA_LDFLAGS=-static compat_LDFLAGS=-static
 libcompat_LDFLAGS=-static  libcompat_la_LDFLAGS=-static
 COMPAT_LIBTOOLFLAGS=-static  LIBCOMPAT_LIBTOOLFLAGS=-static
 LIBCOMPAT_LA_LIBTOOLFLAGS=-static compat_LIBTOOLFLAGS=-static
 libcompat_LIBTOOLFLAGS=-static libcompat_la_LIBTOOLFLAGS=-static

But it still seems to be building a "shared" library for compat -- I get
the following warning:

*** Warning: Linking the shared library libcompat.la against the

*** static library [path to] libcrypto.a is not portable!

along with the same warning about libssl.a, liblzo2.a, and
libpkcs11-helper.a.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.