On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Arne Schwabe <a...@rfc2549.org> wrote:
> Mac OS X 10.7+ natively supports tun devices (called utun). The "standard"
> utun.ko driver is sometimes problematic (e.g. VmWare Fusion 5 and tun.ko do
> not work together).
>
> When OpenVPN is compiled with utun support it will if no dev-node is given
> first try to use utun and if that is not available will try the traditional
> tun devices
>
> v2: Fixed tap support, get device name via ioctl, add manage
> v3.1: Fix compiling without if/utun.h, fix manage errors
> v4/v5: Don't try open to dynamically open utun0 -255 when early utun
> initialization fails, fix fallback to tun, give fatal error message when utun
> fails but no tun fallback should be done
> v6: add commit message change log, replace strstr with strncmp, move
> #includes to the top of the file
> v7: Throw error if a user does the strange combination of --dev tun
> --dev-type tap and --dev-node utun

v7 works on 10.4 through 10.9, tested several different situations on
each. I didn't test it on an actual tap connection, but all the
tun/utun connections I tried worked, and the fallback to tun on 10.4
and 10.5 worked, and the misconfiguration of "--dev tun --dev-type tap
--dev-node utun" was caught.

This looks good to me, for either 2.3.x (because it will fix problems
people have with tuntaposx) or 2.4 (because it is a new feature).

Thanks, Arne.