Hi,

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 01:45:16PM -0600, Nicholas Hall wrote:
> > We use getaddrinfo() and getnameinfo() extensively, which do not require
> > res_init() to be called first...
> >
> > So, instead of adding more convolutions to configure.ac, I propose to
> > throw out res_init() and everything related to it :-) - much easier.
>
> res_init seems to be necessary to pick up changes to /etc/resolv.conf
> mid-process (without some low-level caching like nscd). As of master
> right now, OpenVPN never recovers when it's started with bogus
> nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf.

OK, i see.  So getaddrinfo() is affected by calling res_init() repeatedly,
even if it's not necessary for the initial call.

> The steps I describe in bug report #523 is still valid, even though my
> description of the implementation of openvpn_getaddrinfo() was wrong.

I see that we need to fix finding res_init() then.

I'm not sure the patch is the right approach, though - it brings in
system dependent stuff for MacOS to work around a Linux problem, which
can't be right.

Turing around the question: is there any system out there that has
tun/tap support but not res_init() (= do we need the HAVE_RES_INIT stuff
anyway, as opposed to "just find the right library")?  What about Windows?

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de