On 22/09/16 15:32, Samuli Seppänen wrote:
> Il 22/09/2016 16:07, debbie10t ha scritto:
[...snip...]
>> Obviously, systemctl start openvpn@client1 appends more options
>> when starting openvpn (in my hand written service the only
>> addition is --daemon client1) So I presume that by daemonizing
>> something changes with regard to writing the log file to /tmp ??
>>
>> Also note, in the forum post --daemon is used within the config
>> file.
>>
>> I did grep -E "/tmp" src/openvpn/* and found some code in init.c
>> (line 664) but it's all C, foo, bar to me (Sea food bar ;-) )
>>
>> Anyhoo, can anybody provide a brief and simple explanation ?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>

> Hi,
>
> I did some testing on my Ubuntu 16.04 VM, and this seems like a
> permission issue, probably related to the capabilities set in the
> openvpn unit file:
>
> /lib/systemd/system/openvpn@.service
>
> Basically --log and --log-append will work, if the logfile is
> stored under /etc/openvpn. If you try to put the it under /tmp, it
> will never appear.

Eeek ... never suggest putting log data into /etc ... /var/log please!

Okay ... as /tmp is mentioned .... I presume this is related to
PrivateTmp being enabled in the unit file.  This provides each service
where this is enabled with its own (private) /tmp directory and not
the old system-wide /tmp directory.

See the systemd.exec(5) man page for more info.

Simple and brief enough?  ;-)

> That said, you probably would not need a logfile, as you can view
> them with
>
> $ journalctl /usr/sbin/openvpn

Interesting approach.  It is usually better to use

  $ journalctl -u openvpn@CONFIG

If you add -b or --since you can narrow down how far back it will go too.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth
OpenVPN Technologies, Inc