On 31/10/16 15:58, Selva Nair wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 10:51 AM, David Sommerseth
> <open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net
> <mailto:open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net>> wrote:
>
>     I was not aware it was fixed in the 2.4 branch until today.
>

>     But this is still an issue with 2.3.  That's what I believe should be
>     fixed, as that is considered at least a missing feature there.
>

> The feature request is for username from file, password from GUI. That
> is not supported in any versions and the limitation comes from openvpn
> itself, not the GUI.

Okay, we all know that each platform will have slight variations of
behaviour.  But we should try to have as little variation on the
*feature* side.  Fair enough, we don't support bash-scripts through the
script hooks on Windows out-of-the-box, on the other hand we don't
support Windows batch or PowerShell scripts on Linux.  I rather try to
encourage you to think outside the box.  Which has already been done in
the 2.4 branch, there exists an alternative solutions for this feature.

If people request this feature, it is far better to say: "You can't do
it like that on Windows, but you can do it in *this* way instead" ....
Now all we can say is "No, you can't store usernames in Windows."

So let's try to aim at pleasing the end user than being picky about the
wording of a track ticket.  Because most users will be thankful for a
related feature than no feature at all.

Which is also why this core feature was added to the core OpenVPN 2.3
branch.  It wasn't important *how* this was solved.  It was important
that it was solved in *some* way; for non-Windows having a single line
auth-pass file was the solution.   For Windows the solution might need
to be different, just for the similar reasons we don't support bash
scripts on Windows - but we provide support for alternatives.

Of course the contra argument is that 2.4 have this support.  But should
we start recommending users to upgrade to 2.4_alpha in production?  I
don't think so - as then we could have jumped straight to the final
release instead.  It will be a while until the final 2.4 version is
released.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth