Hi,

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 05:01:49PM +0000, debbie10t wrote:
>  >> So the error message is not correctly identifying the problem that the
>  >> specified device does not exist.
>  >
>  > There is no trac for that that I'm aware of.
>  >
>  > I agree that the error message should be more meaningful.
>  >
>  > OTOH, I'm not sure we *can* fix this in 2.3 with reasonable effort -
> Heiko
>  > rewrote significant bits of "how we do stuff on Windows" for 2.4 to make
>  > this particular error message go away completely - and that change is
>  > not going to be backported to 2.3, because it's way too complex for a
>  > bugfix.
>  >

> Perhaps there should be a trac with this information ?

The commit in question in master / 2.4 is

commit 533495298bd93ddaaf4418dc666922779ce5ef9b
Author: Heiko Hund <heiko.h...@sophos.com>
Date:   Fri Jun 24 18:01:41 2016 +0200

    Windows: do_ifconfig() after open_tun()

    When you had multiple TAP adapters and IPv6 configured you got an error
    message about "you must also specify --dev-node" and openvpn exited.
    Very inconvenient especially since this is only due to the fact that
    Windows tries to set the adapter address before it is opened; for no
    good reason.

it does not reference a trac ticket, so most likely one does not exist
(and we only discussed the issue on #openvpn-devel)

I do not think we have cycles to fix this for 2.3, so a trac would be
pure documentation ("yes, this is nasty in 2.3, but it is fixed in 2.4
and we want you to upgrade anyway") - so if you can do that, it would
certainly be useful.

>  > Could you please try to reproduce this with 2.4_beta1?  I wonder what
>  > the error message for "--dev-node references a non-existing device"
>  > will then be - if it's still a non-useful error, it is much easier to
>  > fix there.  But I do hope that the error might actually be something
>  > useful.
>  >

> Win10 - Openvpn 2.4_beta1
>
> Exact same test, result is:
>
> TAP-Windows adapter 'defaultc' not found
> Exiting due to fatal error
>
> So that looks ok.

This is what I hoped for - thanks, Heiko :-) - and thanks for testing.

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de