Hello Selva,

> On Debian jessie, the following .gitconfig works fo me.
>
> [sendemail]
>           smtpEncryption = tls
>           smtpServer = smtp.gmail.com
>           smtpUser = user.n...@gmail.com
>           smtpServerPort = 587
>
> No smtpsslcertpath specified, I suppose it verifies the cert using
> /etc/ssl/certs as the capath, which is the default.

Thanks! Your configuration is what I tried, from git-send-email doc's:
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-send-email#_use_gmail_as_the_smtp_server
I've just tested on Debian and I've been able to send an email with
TLS, so the problem isn't my git or gmail setup.
It could be a FreeBSD only issue, I see they have a patched version of
git-send-email because Net::SMTP::SSL is deprecated.

> Possibly your /etc/ssl/cert.pem is to blame? I do not have such a file, so
> no idea what it contains.

My /etc/ssl/cert.pem file contains all root certificates provided by
Mozilla NSS project, it should be valid.
I'll ask FreeBSD users if they can successfully use TLS with
git-send-email and if not I'll try to debug the script.

Best Regards,
Olivier