> On 31/05/17 15:51, Simon Matter wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Well, this is a somewhat simplistic world view, with "package builders"
>>> and "package installers".
>>>
>>> People are stuck on older enterprise distributions, for whatever
>>> reasons,
>>> but want a newer openvpn version - so they get the source bundle, and
>>> compile.  Which is a perfectly fine deployment model - and we should
>>> not
>>> break things in 2.4.3 that worked just fine in 2.4.2 for them (unless
>>> there is a strong reason, like "we have a vulnerability here that we
>>> cannot fix unless we abandon an older API").
>>
>> I strongly support your view, Gert. I really hope we do not see such
>> breakage in minor stable releases.
>
> Do you depend on building against OpenSSL 0.9.8?  If so, which
> OS/distribution do you use?

Yes, I have a case with very customized CentOS 5 systems where we also
backport security related patches. Of course the same could be done for
openvpn but it's easier to just follow the current 2.4 stream. That's why
my suggestion to keep all the compat hacks in 2.4.x and kick them out only
in the main devel branch. I guess that's what most package maintainers
expect to happen and it keep mailing lists quiet.

Regards,
Simon