On Sun, Mar 04 2018, Steffan Karger <stef...@karger.me> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 04-03-18 10:08, Gert Doering wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 12:11:23AM +0100, Steffan Karger wrote:
>>> As discussed in the community meeting of 13-12-2017, we should warn our
>>> users that LibreSSL is not officially supported.  We expect that it
>>> currently works, but it might suddenly break or we might decide to no
>>> longer build against LibreSSL in the future.
>>
>> Generally speaking, I agree.
>>
>> Should we also add a warning (+ sleep 60 to be extra-annoying?) to
>> configure if LibreSSL is detected?
>
> I considered that (modulo the sleep 60) and wrote the code to do the
> configure check, but then thought that a not-suppressible warning in the
> logs would be sufficient.  I still think it is, but don't mind re-adding
> it to configure.ac if you prefer that.

As an OpenBSD developer and the maintainer of our OpenVPN port,
I certainly care about building and using OpenVPN with LibreSSL.
I have already provided patches in the past, and yesterday I pushed
compat glue in LibreSSL so that openvpn-2.4.5 can build on OpenBSD
(-current).

So I'm wondering what would be needed to consider LibreSSL "supported".

I hear that there are concerns over LibreSSL not being API-compatible
with OpenSSL.  As you may have noticed, LibreSSL recently introduced
lots of OpenSSL-1.1+ interfaces.  While there is no plan to support the
full OpenSSL-1.1 API (tons of functions were added, not all of them seem
useful...), the intent is to provide what the ecosystem actually needs.
I can probably serve as a bridge between the two projects here.

If you see other points where I - or anyone else - can help, please
share. :)

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE