On Sun, Mar 04 2018, Selva Nair <selva.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> Libressl developers break API compatibility with openssl in such
> perverse ways that there are no easy ways to support it. Take, for
> example, the patch I just sent out which checks for certain functions
> instead of disabling using LIBRESSL_VERSION_NUMBER. It finds two "set"
> functions defined in libressl but two related "get" ones are not
> found. So the compat layer will get used for those. But there is no
> guarantee that such mixed usage leads to logically correct code. In
> fact, the compat layer functions for min/max proto-version are not the
> same as those in openssl 1.1. Those are a work around meant for
> cleanly handling multiple versions of openssl without using ifdefs all
> over the code. If libressl has implemented those set functions as in
> openssl 1.1, then those get functions from compat layer would not be
> what you should be using, but that's what you will get.

I'd like to add more details here.

At the time LibreSSL added the setters (May 2017)[1], OpenSSL itself
only provided said setters (since 2015)[2].  The getters were added to
OpenSSL later (Sep 2017)[3].

[1]
https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/lib/libssl/ssl.h.diff?r1=1.127&r2=1.128
[2]
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/7946ab33cecce60afcc00afc8fc18f31f9e66bff
[3]
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/3edabd3ccb7aac89af5a63cfb2378e33a8be05d7

So I don't think the current situation can be summed up as a plain
oversight or bad design choice.

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE