Hi Eric,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 02:25:56PM +1100, Eric Thorpe wrote:
> One of the Viscosity developers here. The TAP driver used by Viscosity
> is based on the OpenVPN TAP-Windows driver. We're surprised to hear of
> any performance differences, as the changes we've made are very minimal.
>
> Besides a name and version number change, the only other modification is
> a change to the reported network adapter speed, which has Windows report
> the driver as 1000 Mbit instead of 100 Mbit.
>
> This change was made not because of any actual performance gains, but
> because of user reports that certain firewall or AV software tries to
> QoS the adapter based on its reported adapter speed, which is of course
> a problem if the VPN connection is capable of more than 100 Mbit.
>
> Please find a patch file of the changes attached.

I think it would make sense for us to merge that patch - for two reasons,
one is "the change could indeed help performance in high-bandwidth
situtions", and the more important one is "another patch to tap-windows6
is forthcoming, and that way we can keep the version numbers aligned
so people can know what is inside".

Do you have the patch in git?  If yes, could you please do the commit
with "-s" (so the signed-off-by: line is added) and send it as regular
git commit (git-send-email)?  Alternatively a PR against tap-windows6
on github should do as well.

Thanks in advance,