Hello,

I haven't followed the netlink conversion in detail, so please
tell me if the following was already discussed and I've just
missed it.

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 11:28:13AM +0200, Christian Hesse wrote:
>  if ENABLE_SYSTEMD
> +if ENABLE_IPROUTE
> +SYSTEMD_USER=root
> +SYSTEMD_CAPS_OPTION=CapabilityBoundingSet
> +SYSTEMD_CAPS_VALUES=CAP_IPC_LOCK CAP_NET_ADMIN CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE
> CAP_NET_RAW CAP_SETGID CAP_SETUID CAP_SYS_CHROOT CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE
> +else
> +SYSTEMD_USER=openvpn
> +SYSTEMD_CAPS_OPTION=AmbientCapabilities
> +SYSTEMD_CAPS_VALUES=CAP_IPC_LOCK CAP_NET_ADMIN CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE
> CAP_NET_RAW CAP_SYS_CHROOT CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE

Are those capabilities dropped after initialization? If they are
not this sounds like a serious issue as the process is basically
running as root even if it's using another user (CAP_NET_ADMIN
and CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE). Or am I missing something here?

Regarding the netlink change in general: From what I understand
it means that openvpn will always run with CAP_NET_ADMIN
capabilities. Is this correct? If so, this sounds like it
requires much more privileges than before for the normal
operation (unless I misunderstand the current setup - to my
knowledge it only requires a normal user after setup and no
further capabilities or privileges once setup/connected).

Regards
Simon
--
+ privacy is necessary