Hi Selva,

On 17/04/19 17:52, Selva Nair wrote:

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:50 AM Jan Just Keijser <janj...@nikhef.nl <mailto:janj...@nikhef.nl>> wrote:

    On 10/04/19 19:09, Selva Nair wrote:

    On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 12:59 PM Jan Just Keijser
    <janj...@nikhef.nl <mailto:janj...@nikhef.nl>> wrote:

snipped...

        patching pkcs11-helper does not seem too difficult for this
        particular case - but how can we test it? I have access to hw
        tokens but I don't know how to trigger the "raw signature" bit.

    If both server and client are built with OpenSSL 1.1.1 and TLS
    version is >= 1.2, PSS padding will get used and trigger this.
    OpenSSL does PSS padding internally and passes the padded data to
    the rsa_priv_enc calback for raw signature.

    This is based on my tests for our Windows cryptoapi and
    management-external-key patches for the same -- never tried this
    using pkcs11-helper, but I expect the same behaviour.

    The good news: I can reproduce this with
    - openvpn 2.4.7
    - openssl 1.1.1b
    - pkcs11helper 1.25.1
    - Safenet etoken
    - client+server CentOS 7

    The bad news: I don't have a fix yet.

What I has in mind was a very simple patch like the one attached (totally untested). But I guess you tried that already and it doesn't work? Is it because the token
does not support raw signature (not all do) or something else?

I had not written a patch when I wrote my earlier email, but your patch is exactly what I had in mind; getting it all to compile and run with OpenSSL 1.1.1b + OpenVPN 2.4.7 was a bit of a challenge, but I finally managed...

and yes, your patch works admirably - I can connect again using TLSv1.3 + token.  If I comment out your patch, do a rebuild of libpkcs11helper.so then it fails again, proving your patch works.

Can you do a pull request for your pkcs11-helper patch on the pkcs11helper github page?  or shall we simply patch pkcs11-helper ourselves?

cheers,

JJK