> I see one challenge with this approach, and it is that it locks us to one
> specific format for the CR_RESPONSE.  I think it would be appropriate to
> extend it with a "version" field before {CID}, so we have a chance to extend
> the protocol without updating much of the core OpenVPN 2.x code base.  For
> now, it could be hard coded as version 1.
>
> So:  CLIENT:CR_RESPONSE,{VERSION},{CID},{KID},{response_base64}

But instead of the old method we are not limited to using a fixed
field/control command. So while CRV1 must have a version field,
CR_RESPONSE just does text responses and nothing more.

> I'm also wondering if this would be a reasonable approach to use to implement
> GSSAPI authentication support as well; where there is a back-and-forth
> handshake happening as well.

For anything that needs more than can be encoded with a base64 text, I
would rather add a new response type like GSAPPI_AUTH etc.

Arne