Hi Simon,

A quick reply:

> > IMO, the right approach on Windows is to run a bare minimal code as a
> > service to get SYSTEM rights and the rest with limited privileges.
>
> Selva, those are two different use-cases. And none is "right" or "wrong".
> OpenVPN can or should have both. :)
>
> 1. I need to run VPN tunnel as a persistent service - something that comes up
> with computer (Group Policy Client service waits for about 30 seconds on boot
> to get network access to AD server). And stays on all the time - any user
> signed in or not. I connect computers with VPN.

I too use OpenVPN like this, so I do understand the use case. And, the
point was that the exe can be started through interactive service even
in this case. That would allow running openvpn.exe at boot from a
service with low privileges that delegates all privileged actions to
iservice. Years ago when iservice was introduced we did briefly
discuss this (with Heiko) but left it as a future enhancement which of
course no one had time for.

Unless I'm missing some scenario where this wont work. Anyway, this is
beyond the scope of the current patch.

Selva