Hi,

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 12:04:30PM +0200, David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 17/07/2020 10:02, Gert Doering wrote:
> > Acked-by: Gert Doering <g...@greenie.muc.de>
> >
> > I have not tested the actual docutils / openvpn.8 generation (Samuli will
> > complain loudly if tarball making doesn't work anymore, so that *will*
> > see testing).  Generally it looks sane.
> >
> > This condition looks a bit fishy, though...
> >
> >  +AM_CONDITIONAL([HAVE_PYDOCUTILS], [test "${RST2MAN}" -a "${RST2HTML}"])
> >
> > not sure what that will do in a POSIX shell.
>
> Hmm ... whoops.  That should probably have been
>
>     test -n "${RST2MAN}" -a -n "${RST2HTML}"
>
> Not sure how that passed during my own tests.  I tested it on a various of
> boxes, but I only have Linux distros easily available.

OK, there is something else - the buildbots are now failing with

Missing python-docutils - skipping man/html page generation
Missing python-docutils - skipping man page generation
cp: cannot stat './openvpn.8.html': No such file or directory
Makefile:686: recipe for target 'distdir' failed

"if it knows that it's not doing these, it shouldn't try to copy it
somewhere"

Can you have a look please, while fixing the "test" thing above?

> > Maybe this shouldn't be conditional either
> >
> >  +if HAVE_PYDOCUTILS
> >   dist_noinst_DATA += openvpn.8
> >
> > because it will lead to "tarballs randomly contain openvpn.8 or not,
> > depending on whether docutils are around" - "make dist" should behave
> > consistently, and if there are no docutils, I think it should fail, not
> > silently leave out files.
>
> The intention is that the tarball contains prebuilt openvpn.8 and openvpn.html
> files, which is generated by "make {dist,distcheck}".

Yes.  In full agreement.

What I worry is that if you run a "make dist" on a host that has no
docutils, configure will notice this, and not add "openvpn.8" to
"dist_noinst_DATA" - so it won't be built, not included in the tarball,
and the tarball is incomplete.

> If these files exists,
> they will not be rebuilt unless explicitly removed.  So most users building
> from the source tarball should not notice any difference from prioer OpenVPN
> releases.  This is what the additional dist-hook rule in doc/Makefile.am does;
> this is run right before the copied source tree is put into a tarball.
>
> The challenge is that it must be a conditional to actually pass ./configure -
> even when built from source tarballs.

Not sure I understand this.  If openvpn.8 is there, because it was tarball'ed,
why would this line above create a new dependency?