Hi,

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 02:27:21PM +0200, David Sommerseth wrote:
> The sample-plugins have their own set of build/winbuild scripts in each
> of these plugin directories.  This does not give a good way to reuse
> various macros the autoconf/automake/configure process enables; which
> can contain important macros to make some code build without errors or
> warnings.

This looks like a step in the right direction, but is not fully working
yet - I tried both an "in-tree" and "out of tree" build, and it fails
compilation with

sample-plugins$ gmake
test -d `dirname defer/simple.o` || ../../../openvpn/./install-sh -c -d
`dirname defer/simple.o`; \
cc -c -o defer/simple.o -Wall -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-function -g -O2
-std=c99 -I../../../openvpn -fPIC
../../../openvpn/sample/sample-plugins/defer/simple.c
../../../openvpn/sample/sample-plugins/defer/simple.c:58:10: fatal error:
'openvpn-plugin.h' file
      not found
#include "openvpn-plugin.h"
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.

openvpn-plugin.h is installed if you install openvpn first, but if
you only build in tree, it seems to need an extra

  -I$(top_srcdir)/include

to find openvpn-plugin.h

It also needs gmake - running "make" will do "nothing at all", which
I found surprising, but did not investigate more closely.  This is likely
due to implicit rules that need to be written differently for BSD make.

I do not think this is a serious issue - just document it in the README,
and it's still better than 4 individual "build" files, half of it who
were missing the needed "-I" as well :-)