>     We can treat management-external key as special and optionally
>     provide the digest to sign. OpenSSL 3.0 with provider always seem to
>     call DigestSign and never Sign directly so we have the info.
>

> Turns out to be easier than I thought. I have added a patch to
> optionally send the undigested message to the management client.
> Indicate support for digesting operation in --management-external-key
> and you get the message to sign with data=message

That is great. I tested it and TLS 1.3 is working nicely with
"SHA256withRSA/PSS" on the java side. So that is great.

But then it went downhill from that with things unrelated to the xkey
provider. I wanted to see if it works with TLS 1.1 (ie.. forcing a pkcs1
signature) and found out tls-version-max no longer work on OpenSSL 3.0
nor on my Ubuntu 20 with OpenSSL 1.1.

I decided then to replace SSLv23_client_method with TLS11_client_method,
which ended with an internal SSL error in my client.

So instead I tried to see tls-version-max still works with mbed TLS only
to discover that my OpenSSL 3.0 client does not connect to my mbed TLS
at all and instead the server says "TLS_ERROR: read tls_read_plaintext
error: SSL - Bad input parameters to function" (Ubuntu 20/mbed TLS
2.16.0). Switching the app back to OpenSSL 1.1.1l still works.

Then tested again with OpenSSL 3.0 but forgot to reenable
HAVE_XKEY_PROVIDER and now the RSA_method/EC_method works but I was
fairly sure that it didn't before. Maybe there is some obscure side
effect from your branch or I misremembered before ...

But for some reason having the HAVE_XKEY_PROVIDER define enabled breaks
connecting to an mbed TLS 2.16 server. I can also reproduce that with my
a version on my mac.

> See the commit message. It's
> in  https://github.com/selvanair/openvpn/tree/xkey-provider-v3
> <https://github.com/selvanair/openvpn/tree/xkey-provider-v3>   (only
> compile tested).
>
> Selva
> PS. I'm supposed to be holidaying, but basking in LCD glow instead of sun..

Hehe, and I am supposed to be sleeping but instead I am testing some
obscure software part that is even hard to explain to other IT (non
crypto) people what it does ....