Am 14.01.23 um 18:29 schrieb Arne Schwabe:
Hey,

This is the first round and will be only to the openvpn-devel list.
After that I will also write to individuals email addresses but I want
to start with sending this to the devel list.

We are writing to you since you are or were a contributor in past to
OpenVPN and we would like to  ask for your permission to amend the
license of OpenVPN.

OpenVPN 2.x is licensed under the GPL v2. This license has served us
well in the past and we are not trying to change that. However,
changes in licenses of our dependencies make this change necessary.

Both mbed TLS and OpenSSL nowadays use the Apache 2.x license. For the
OpenSSL library we have a special exception that allows us linking
with it. For newer mbed TLS version, we cannot do this any more.
Compatibility of Apache 2.x and GPL 2.x has to our knowledge never
been tested in court and even FSF and ASF disagree about the issue
(https://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html)

We would like to be able to continue to build/ship OpenVPN with mbed
TLS. We want all contributors to ask if they agree to license change
that adds explicit permission to link with Apache 2 licensed libraries:

Special exception for linking OpenVPN with Apache 2 licensed libraries:

  In addition, as a special exception, OpenVPN Inc and contributors
  give permission to link the code of this program to libraries with the
  "APACHE LICENSE, VERSION 2.0", and distribute linked combination
  including the two.  You must obey the GNU General Public License in
  all respects for all of the code used other than these libraries.  If
  you modify this file, you may extend this exception to your version of
  the file, but you are not obligated to do so.  If you do not wish to
  do so, delete this exception statement from your version.

You might wonder why we are going for a generic Apache 2 exception
rather than one targeted at mbed TLS specifically. We believe that a
generic exemption is better since it also implicitly allows forks of
mbed TLS and even if a SSL library might emerge in the future we do
not have to discuss if it is a fork or not. Also granting an explicit
exception for Apache 2 style licenses reaffirms the linking to OpenSSL.

We also considered going for a change from GPL2 to GPL2+ but we think
that GPL3 would hurt the ability to distribute OpenVPN as part of
router or other embedded devices as the GPL3 has been explicitly
developed (at least in part) to make this use case harder/impossible
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivoization)

If you are okay with this, please reply to this mail and confirm that.
Otherwise we might be forced to remove and/or rewrite your code.

The GPL, in its spirit, was developed to empower users, not businesses.

So, after pondering for many hours about planned obsolescence, vendor
respect for the community, and in the light that commercial needs for
embedded uses can license the C++ reimplementation from OpenVPN Inc.:
Please reconsider amending towards "GPL2+" or "GPL3+" instead of
weakening the copyleft.