On 9 Mar 2023, at 9:57, Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> On 09/03/2023 09:36, Kristof Provost wrote:
>> On 9 Mar 2023, at 1:52, Antonio Quartulli wrote:
>>> In order to provide better support in case of troubleshooting issues,
>>> it's important to know what exact DCO version is loaded on the user
>>> system.
>>>
>>> Therefore print the DCO version during bootup.
>>>
>>> For Windows and FreeBSD we currently implement a placeholder printing 'v0'.
>>> This should be improved with a follow-up patch.
>>>
>> FreeBSD is a bit special in this regard, because the DCO driver is part of
>> the base operating system and not an add-on as in Linux and Windows.
>>
>> Arguably the thing to do for FreeBSD is to log the OS version.
>
> Isn't it possible to install DCO "out-of-tree" (as we can do on Linux)?

With some effort it could be done, but any version (in the source tree) before
DCO was actually imported isn’t going to work. I made a few (small) tweaks to
the network stack to make things work.

Realistically this isn’t something people will do, and if they do decide to the
usual warranty applies (i.e. they get to keep all of the pieces it breaks into).

> However, what you said will also apply to linux in the future: we will also
> need to report the kernel version, *if* DCO is compiled in (to be
> implemented).
>
> This said, reporting the kernel/os version is absolutely appropriate if
> that's what identifies the DCO version.

There’s no API in FreeBSD’s DCO to identify its version either, which is
another reason to just use the OS version.

> Is that something you could implement in dco_freebsd.c?

Sure. I’ll send a patch later today.

Best regards,
Kristof