Hi,

On Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 04:02:29PM -0800, Mike Morris wrote:
> Now, whenever the ovpn CLIENT is running:
>
>  * I can still ssh to the server from inside, i.e., LAN access is ok
>  * I can no longer connect from outside, i.e., WAN service dead

The reply packets from sshd will be sent out via VPN (and either dropped
due to "wrong source addresse" or NATted away), so the ssh client won't
see the answers it's expecting.

This can be solved with "ip rule" trickery (ensure that packets with a
source address not belonging to the tun interface get routed to the
standard default gateway, and only tun packets go to the tun interface),
but how precisely to set this up depends on your local environment.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de