On 25/04/16 20:02, Scott Crooks wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Is there documentation available that lists, in detail, the process of when a
> user connects to an OpenVPN server? I am wanting to have an OpenVPN server
> that has the following requirements:
>
> - Authenticates users via LDAP (got this part figured out already)
> - Pulls per user firewall rules from LDAP, and pushes them dynamically to each
> user
> - Does not route Internet traffic through the VPN
>
> I get confused as to whether I should be calling the per user firewall script
> using `learn-address` or `up`, and when each is executed.

--up is called quite early, when the TUN interface is configured IIRC.  This
script-hook makes seldom sense on the server side.  You might consider
--client-connect instead on the server side.

The order is something like this:

  --up
  --tls-verify
  --auth-user-pass-verify
  --client-connect
  --learn-address

This is the order on the server side.  Also beware that --learn-address may be
called several times during a session.

If you use UDP mode, it may take up to --ping-exit seconds before
--learn-address with a 'delete' operation  (and --client-disconnect) gets
called.  You can void this by adding --explicit-exit-notify in the client
configs.  For TCP mode, the TCP handshake will ensure the "down" scripts are
run a lot quicker (and --explicit-exit-notify is not compatible with TCP mode).

For you use-case, I'd say you should be able to do the LDAP authentication
either via auth-pam or one of the auth-ldap plug-ins available on the net, or
use --auth-user-pass-verify.  The firewall operations can then be executed via
--learn-address.

You might also be interested having a look at my eurephia project [1], which
does much of what you seem to want.  The only thing it is missing officially
is LDAP support.  I have started looking into LDAP authentication, but pulling
firewall configs from LDAP is not currently covered (but not impossible).

[1] http://www.eurephia.net/

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth