Hi,

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 02:48:50PM +1200, Jason Haar wrote:
> I just heard from one of our IS staff who moved onto the Win10 Insider
> build 14332 that it was continually bluescreening - ended up disabling
> openvpn fixed it (we run openvpn as a service). So I did the same thing
> (installed 14332) using the current 2.3.11-I601-x86_64 and indeed the
> moment the TAP interface comes up (ie it gets a tunnel IP address), the
> system crashes. This issue also affects the older 2.3.10 version - so it's
> more likely the new Win10 build "does something differently"
>
> So this could be a major bug with Win10 14332 (it only just came out) that
> openvpn just happens to tickle - but it could also imply Win10 now has some
> subtle assumptions that openvpn/TAP isn't meeting?
>
> I dunno - that's why I brought it up :-)

This is bad news.

Given that the tap6 driver works on about every version of windows since
Vista, and we've not received any reports about system crashes, I tend to
point at "microsoft broke something in the driver handling" - but have no
idea how to debug that, or what to do about it.

Does this "Insider" program have some sort of feedback mechanism to report
these crashes to Microsoft?  So they can look what they changed in the
networking stack that could explain the crashes?

(I'm fairly sure it's not OpenVPN itself as a user program should never ever
be able to cause a bluescreen - but the TAP driver runs inside the kernel,
so any sort of "miscommunication" there can have serious effects)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de