Il 17/10/2016 11:50, Ralf Hildebrandt ha scritto:
> * Samuli Seppänen <>:
>> Hi,
>> Should we have a separate apt repository for "unstable" apt packages?
> Yes please. Do have a look at how dovecot does it:
> there is "stable" and "testing"

Thanks to all for the feedback. Based on it the most flexible approach
would probably be to have four different repositories:

"testing": tracks latest release, including all alphas/beta/rcs
"stable": tracks latest stable release (2.3.x/2.4.x)
"release/2.3": tracks latest 2.3.x release
"release/2.4": tracks latest 2.4 release (including alphas/beta/rcs)

The current apt repository would become "release/2.3" to minimize
surprises. In all cases the package name would be "openvpn". A user
could have several of these repositories enabled at the same time - apt
would then just default to the latest version.

Right now Debian package building is not fully automated, but when it
is, having a "snapshots" repository would make sense.

I'd rather not allow several different OpenVPN packages to co-exist on a
single computer (e.g. "openvpn-2.3" and "openvpn-2.4"): that tends to
complicate packaging without any significant benefits. I believe this
approach is mostly used in cases where different application versions
are (protocol)incompatible, and users need to be able to use both

Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager
OpenVPN Technologies, Inc

irc freenode net: mattock