On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Gert Doering <g...@greenie.muc.de> wrote:

>  - 2.4 client talking to 2.4 server will send a special handshake
> (IV_NCP=2)
>    which signals "I can do pushable cipher, and I can do AES-GCM", so the
>    server will (usually) send back "cipher AES-256-GCM" and move itself
>    to AES-256-GCM as well.

All right, let's get this clear for me and for others :-)

If I have a 2.4 server, I can set it to "cipher BF-CBC" and keep all the
2.3 clients happy. Then I can migrate the clients to 2.4 (even with "cipher
BF-CBC" too), and as they come in, they  negotiate before "cipher" matters
and go AES-256-GCM: basically "--cipher" is ignored in 2.4+ transactions?
Or I can migrate the clients to 2.4 with "cipher BF-CBC", and when they
fail to negotiate with the 2.3 server, they'll still be happy, and then
when I migrate the server to 2.4, they all auto-update to AES

Is that correct? That would be perfect as then no dual infrastructure would
be required

--
Cheers

Jason Haar