Hi Jeff,

On 07/07/17 20:36, Jeff Boyce wrote:
This is probably off-topic, but is a follow-up question based on a recent reply by JJK on another issue. I don't have a specific issue looking for a solution, but am looking for pointers where I can find some additional information.

JJK's comment
*BUT* Microsoft has declared WINS to be dead; it's even so bad that there are DoS holes in the WINS server that they will not fix; you should switch to DNS/AD style name serving instead.

This comment caught my attention, because I don't follow much Windows stuff, and I knew that I have WINS support enabled in my Samba configuration. It could be a hold-over from my CentOS 3 box and older Win boxes and may no longer be needed. I did a little internet research to find out if I really needed WINS support on my Samba server or not, but could only find advice on enabling, configuring, and using WINS support in Samba. Nothing real current about what conditions I might need to keep it, or how to eliminate it and use other options. So hopefully JJK or someone else can point me to some resources to read. If this is too far off-topic and don't think anyone else would be interested in it, then please contact me directly off-list with any replies. Thanks.

Some of my network particulars are:
Samba server on CentOS 6 VM, with WINS enabled.
OpenVPN running on same VM with Samba server.
Dnsmasq running on separate CentOS 6 VM providing DNS and DHCP for the network.
pfSense firewall locked down fairly well in front of the servers.
Desktop boxes are Win7 and Win10.

Samba WINS is generally speaking OK, but read up on e.g.
https://blog.fortinet.com/2017/06/14/wins-server-remote-memory-corruption-vulnerability-in-microsoft-windows-server

the main problem is that Microsoft seems to be unwilling to release for Windows Server for this , as they say they are phasing out WINS.

HTH,

JJK