Top posting

JJK> The only thing you can do, is to run something like Traffic Control (tc)
JJK> on the link to prioritize low latency traffic compared to bulk
JJK> downloads. If I throttle my iperf session to use 80% of the maximum link
JJK> speed then the ping times remain much lower. When the link is "100%
JJK> full" with TCP traffic then the ping times increase 100fold.

While I'm not going to address, specifically, OpenVPN's handling of this - this
is just typical behavior when links get loaded. I run smokeping [with
fping/icmp ping] to monitor a bunch of stuff - especially my client's external
internet connections.

The universal sign of a congested link is latencies going up by, easily, an
order of magnitude, and little or no packet loss. [i.e. 30ms to 300ms, or even
more] Once a connection reaches very high levels of utilization, latencies
increase dramatically.

So, the fact that OpenVPN does similar things seems unremarkable to me.
[But perhaps I missed something more in the thread that does make it more
remarkable...]

HTH
-Greg