On 09/11/17 19:19, Daniel Miller via Openvpn-users wrote:
I'm probably misunderstanding the purposes of things, but...

I have a Linux VPN server and a Windows client. I want the client to be able to see at an "arp" level all the server-side LAN devices. At the moment, I'm using a routed (tun) connection. The server LAN and the client LAN are different networks.

Is this possible?

all the other responders have pretty much outlined why this is not possible, but my one question is: why do you want to be able to see clients at an ARP level? there are other&better ways to do "Network Neighborhood" discovery without having to rely on ARP.

The general rule of thumb for OpenVPN is:

- a 'tun' style network is an IP-only non-broadcast point-to-point like network: no Ethernet, no MAC addresses, no ARP - a 'tap' style network is a non-broadcast Ethernet-like network: full Ethernet frames, with MAC addresses, but no broadcast traffic, thus no ARP requests from other LAN hosts - a 'bridged tap' style network is a broadcast Ethernet-like network: this would give you what you are asking for but you should this type of network *at all costs* : performance will be horrible, it does not scale and, with all the broadcast chatter, one could even argue that it is not as secure as the other style of VPNs

HTH,

JJK