On 16/11/17 04:03, Selva wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 9:11 PM, Daniel Miller via Openvpn-users <openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net <mailto:openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net>> wrote:

    Windows 8.1, OpenVPN 2.4 (GUI v11.9.0.0).  Sometimes when connecting,
especially when re-connecting, my connections won't
    fully initialize.  However, it often seems that a manual "ipconfig /renew
<tun-adapter>" fixes it.  So much so that I'm
    considering add a "up" command to my configs.

    Does this indicate an obvious and hopefully fixable problem?  Or should I just go
with what works...and add the "up" command.

What error do you see in the logs -- is the connection failing with "Waiting for TUN/TAP interface to come up"? If so just an ipconfig /renew may not be enough as routes will not be setup either if the interface does not get an IP.

Try adding --dhcp-renew option in the config file. Ideally this shouldn't be necessary and I haven't seen many such reports. A more common issue is dns server not getting registered unless --register-dns option is used. In case the tap adapter properties have been changed from the default, check its media status setting -- should be "Application Controlled".

sometimes it also helps to add
   tap-sleep 2
to the client side config:
  --tap-sleep n   : Sleep for n seconds after TAP adapter open before
attempting to set adapter properties.

HTH,

JJK