The short answer is:

If the traffic going "inside" the tunnel is UDP based, it's already built to
handle packet loss.
If the traffic going "inside" the tunnel is TCP based, it's going to be handled
by the TCP connection that's encapsulated by the tunnel. [i.e. The TCP
connection will re-transmit any lost packets.]

So, it's no different than it would be outside the tunnel.

But, that said, any kind of tunnel [IPSec/OpenVPN etc] are fairly sensitive to
packet loss. So, if packet loss grows beyond a modest amount, your tunnel won't
be reliable. But that's a function of the tunnel, not UDP vs TCP tunnel
transport.

In fact, using TCP for the OpenVPN tunnel transport is probably MORE sensitive
to packet loss than TCP inside a UDP tunnel. [due to the TCP ack window, inside
another TCP ack window. See: http://sites.inka.de/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html ]

Others may have more detailed answers, and/or citations, but that's the gist of
it.

Hi,

How does OpenVPN handle UDP's unreliability?

If I read this correctly, "control channel messages" and not the "data channel"
are using the reliability layer:
https://github.com/OpenVPN/openvpn/blob/master/doc/doxygen/doc_reliable.h#L40

If true, does that make UDP OpenVPN tunnel unreliable?

I would appreciate any insight and also links to any docs that may explain this.

All the best,
Sina

--
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi