On 31/07/2020 22:53, Alex K wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020, 08:39 Gert Doering <g...@greenie.muc.de
> <mailto:g...@greenie.muc.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 11:33:45PM +0300, Alex K wrote:
>     > On Wed, Jul 29, 2020, 07:57 Peter Fraser <softwareinfo...@gmail.com
>     <mailto:softwareinfo...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > > I set up my OpenVPN Server for IT access but now everyone seems to
> love
>     > > and I have to be allowing more and more persons. I wonder, is there a
> way
>     > > to prevent one user from accessing a particular route that is listed
>     in the
>     > > global config file. I have only seen how to the opposite, that is,
> allow a
>     > > user access to a route not listed in the global config. Any help
> would be
>     > > greatly appreciated.
>     > >
>     > As a simple approach,  I would recommend pushing specific routes to
> users
>     > through the ccd file. Each ccd file named according to the common name
> of
>     > the user's cert.
>
>     While this works, it's not a good security measure - the server will not
>     verify (can not) that the client is using *only* those routes that you
>     push.
>
>     So if you put "route 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.255" in the client config,
>     that address will be routed into the VPN as well, in addition to what
>     the server pushed.
>
> Indeed. If you have to deal with such users then you may push specific vpn ips
> to each user then control access with firewall rules at vpn server statically,
> though this approach seems not very much scalable as you have to carefully
> manage the firewall and assigned ips. To make it more fun, and still keep it
> simple, I would prepare a connect script on server side which according to the
> client name it would add/remove firewall rules to allow specific access to the
> dynamically assigned vpn ip.

This is basically the whole idea with eurephia [0] ;-)  Web page has not been
updated in a long while, but the project does still live and should work fine
with OpenVPN 2.4 servers when using --compat-names.  OpenVPN 2.5 servers
support will arrive as soon as I have time to hack more on this project again;
or someone sends patches fixing it.  Client side is not version dependent at
all.

[0] <https://www.eurephia.net/>

--
kind regards,